So often whenever we get into hard times, we feel the need to be strong and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps. Another fond phrase of mine (NOT) is “Put on your big girl panties, and deal with it.”
Several years ago God convicted my heart over these attitudes. I hope you will read this article to see why I stopped doing that.
Sometimes it seems so easy to get into a “works” mentality whenever we are dealing with urge to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps. We set our priorities and then we think we have to follow them in our own strength.
How often do we think we have to work our tails off at the gym to get rid of that extra weight when we are fighting shame and condemnation? We go faithfully for a few weeks before we realize, DANG! This is just too hard and we stop going to the gym altogether; instead of realizing that Jesus wants to be involved in our lives.
Or, what happens if your boss puts you on the night shift after you have told him time and time again that you need to be off so that you can babysit your cousin every Friday and Sunday night?
How about when your wife says she wants a divorce after nineteen years of marriage?
There is never a time when God is not working diligently behind the scenes on your behalf. He wants you to have practical experiences in success, but more than that, He wants you to know Him. He wants to have an intimate relationship with you. He wants you to communicate with Him; to share the innermost thoughts and desires of your heart with Him, and He wants to work with you to bring them to pass.
What a concept. We can be co-laborers with the Creator of the Universe.
So, how do we do just that?
Practical Steps To Take
While I have been working on this article this morning, I have had this song playing in my mind and I believe it is the very first step to take.
- Take part in the “Great Exchange.” You have to realize that He is the Creator and you are the created. He is the One Who knows the end from the beginning. So, each morning lay down your life and take up the Life He has for you. This puts you in the perfect posture to receive every good thing your Father has planned for you. (If you haven’t learned how to relate to God as your daddy, you can read “My Abba.”)
- Let go of any expectation of how a certain situation should or will turn out.
- Pray and ask God to guide you.
- This one ties in closely with #2 but takes it a step farther. Be willing to accept His plan.
- Walk in obedience to what He shows you.
- Trust that this is the best for you. Even if it isn’t exactly what your heart desires you can trust that nothing in your life goes to waste. He can use it for your good.
I pray that today you will take the time to BeLoved Completely and as you sit in the presence of your heavenly Father, let go of anything you are trying to accomplish in your own strength and talk to Him about it; REALLY talk to Him. As you do this, you will find an overwhelming peace begin to take over your heart. And I promise you, where you used to feel pressure to get things done, you will feel a trust in the ONLY ONE Who can do them…JESUS!!
Also, if you liked this article, please read Grace That Is Amazing. It goes hand in hand with it.
What change do you desire to see in your life? Please leave a comment or hit reply and send a quick email. I will gladly pray for you. Also, print the following pdf and use it to jot your thoughts onto paper. If you are a visual person like me, sometimes it helps to see things written down.